Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Rollercoaster Emotions – December 5, 2007

Yesterday I was on Cloud 9!!! George finally gave me the GO signal to proceed with my gym workouts. Actually, there still are mandatory strengthening drills for my knees, ankles, and legs but at least it incorporates an aerobic workout (a stationary bike). I gave my “high-fives” and bid my goodbyes to everyone in the clinic. I will really miss them. I really owe them a lot.

I arrived home and announced to Mayi that I’m done with my clinic therapy sessions. I’m a “graduate”. “I’ll be in the gym first thing tomorrow”, I added. I guess she could see how excited I was. I really couldn’t wait ‘til the next morning.

This morning, as I woke up, I went through the usual routine of getting my boys up and ready for school. Lucas, with some effort, got up and proceeded to his room. Diego on the other hand took a little bit more time getting up. I thought he was just a bit lazier getting up with the gloomy weather this morning. Until he told Mayi and I that his leg really hurts. Apparently, it started to hurt just before he went to bed. This morning, he couldn’t walk and was limping really bad. It was so bad, he looked the way I looked just when I had my injury. I struggled trying to figure out what happened to him but he could not also tell me what caused it. Poor boy, I think I made him more nervous with all my questions. I was groping for an answer and never got one.

All of a sudden, I was tried. I wasn’t tired physically; I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. My enthusiasm for the gym disappeared just like that! Mayi was practically forcing me to go to the gym. I told her I couldn’t. I was just drained.

I really hate it when any of my kids are sick and I can’t do anything about it. I hate feeling helpless and I can’t fight back. I didn’t know how to react except to get frustrated and angry. I couldn’t help myself. Aside from not going to the gym, I pigged out on a very heavy breakfast to have some sort of outlet. It's so not me. I was being a brat. I knew I shouldn’t react that way but I couldn’t help myself. After a while, I said sorry to Mayi. I guess the stress I felt when Diego got sick a week and a half ago was still fresh in my mind.

I know that like all things, this too shall pass. I just wish that it passed quickly.

As for my enthusiasm for the gym, the next stage in my recovery? .........Tomorrow is a new day.

No comments: