Monday, May 18, 2009

Racing to Update My Posts (Part 2)

Guilty as charged! I'm really lazy to post regularly. But I know I have to because I want to make sure I document everything so I can have accurate archives of my recovery, and now training, so I can look back at it if needed.

So here's whats been happening so far (in the past two weeks)

1. Run training with Joar have been really great! I've successfully gone through intervals, uphill and level speed work, tempo runs, and LSDs (Long Slow Distances -- coined by Joe Henderson) pain free. I'm happy and excited. If I can continue at this state, I will hopefully be able to work on improving time and do longer runs. I usually experience pain after the 11-12 km mark. So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I just have to be smart about training and know when to push and when to hold back.

2. I've started Total Immersion (TI) training with Coach Nonoy Basa. Together with classmates Joel Gironella and Miguel Pizarro, we have been battling to kill old-school swim habbits to achieve a better and more efficient swim technique. Easier said than done. Hahahaha. But I'm really enjoying it.


With Joel, Nonoy, and Miguel. Photo courtesy of theBullrunner (TBR)

3. Last Sunday, I decided to follow the advise of Jaymie (TBR) and coach Joar to finally get a deep tissue massage for my super stiff hamstrings. I've been putting this off since I haven't felt any serious pain in a while. But I yielded when warned that this stiffness might just eventually lead to a tear and another setback. Besides, I had nothing to loose by having the massage anyway.

As expected, it wasn't the ordinary Spa-like massage. Not relaxing at all. Harry, the masseur really worked on my problem areas namely -- my calf mussles, my hamstrings, and my right ITB.

I must say I was skeptical even after the massage. But I felt the benefits yesterday while doing hamstring exercises. I usually could not finish some exercise poses because they would start to stiffen up and become painful that I'd have to stop. But yesterday, they were ok. There was some slight stiffness but no pain. YES!!! Wow. Thanks Jaymie, Joar, and of course Harry!!!

4. I haven't been biking at all -- not even spinning. I have to squeeze it in somehow. "Makisig" will ride again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey jamike nice meeting you the other day! :) i'll see you at animo tri then?

TRY-Athlete said...

Hey Marga. Nice meeting you too. Yes, Animo TRI, if I'm fit enough. Hahahaha