Wednesday, November 14, 2007

4th week (10th session) Nov 14, 2007 – Pain vs. Progress

Today I was eager to come to therapy and begin the first session of what is supposed to be my last week. Actually, to be more precise, this meant last week in the clinic after which will be the start of therapy workouts in the gym. I think even my therapists were as enthused as they began by telling me that we were going to try to max out all the exercises. I like that. I like the challenge.

And true to form, I improved on all of the drills and managed to squeeze in new ones. This rounds up my accomplishments for this session:
1. Step-ups increased to 200 diagonal and 100 straight
2. Three and a half minutes on the wobble board
3. Added more resistance and reps on my hamstring curls and Legs presses
4. Wall squats were 60 and 90 degree sets plus an additional set of one leg squats on my bad leg (with elastics as resistance).
5. My ankle slides now reached 139 degrees. Only 6 degrees to go!!

I’m really happy with my accomplishments. But these didn’t come without the accompanying pain. I’ve come to realize that pain and progress go hand in hand. What motivates me through the pain though is another thing that Marianna shared with me which I realized was so true as far as all these aches and pain that come with recovery are concerned. She said, “Uncle Jam don’t worry, once the pain goes away, it will not come back”.

Now, I’ve cut down my goals to even smaller and achievable targets. It helps me cope with my impatience when I sometimes get hit with the realization that even the February seems so far away. It triggers a string of negative thoughts and a barrage of “what if?” questions. It drives me crazy. So, having smaller more attainable goals allow me to enjoy small victories that are enough for me chew on and move forward.
So even these tiny improvements during therapy are a big boost. This mindset actually works for me.

By the way, I was allowed to not use my immobilizer already! I've been waiting to achieve this milestone. Upon leaving the clinic, I cautiously tried walking normally. Although it felt weird and wobbly at first, I slowly got my groove and rhythm back. The feeling was ten times rewarding when I reach home and climbed the stairs normally. I looked crazy as I went up and down the stairs several times trying to shake off my disbelief. It was a great feeling.

No comments: