Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I happened in a "Snap".

A day after my 42nd birthday, I tore my ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament). I was playing badminton with my wife, Mayi, and my brothers on one of our routine weekly games. We were just on our first game when I instinctively (short of saying…What the hell was I thinking?) decided to jump and smash the ball. Upon landing, I felt my knee buckle and twist. I heard a popping sound and instantly felt the pain. I fell to the floor as Mayi, Joel, and Kwi ran towards me to see what had happened. They thought I’d sprained my ankle but I told them that it was my knee as I winced in pain. Shit, it hurt like hell and it’s a feeling of pain I will remember for the rest of my life.

Joel called our good friend Dr. George Canlas right away to tell him what had happened. I was advised by George to immobilize my knee and see him Thursday in his clinic. He also prescribed medicines for the pain and swelling.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just decided to pull out of Milo tomorrow because my meniscus problem is bugging me again. I'm so sad. I can only imagine what you must be going through! Hang in there! This too shall pass. You should be back to running, biking, and swimming "in a snap" too :)

TRY-Athlete said...

Hi Jayms. Thanks for visiting. :) Sad to hear you're pulling out of the MILO race. I was planning to run the 21 K also. Next time, or in my case, next year. We'll not run out of races anyway! hahahaha! :D