Tuesday, November 13, 2007

D’Day – October 20, 2007

The day finally came. Mayi accompanied me to St. Luke’s Medical early in the morning. George managed to squeeze me in and gave me a slot. I was really grateful; I was 1st of 3 ACLs he was going to do that day.

The operation went smoothly. For some reason, I woke up and got a chance to watch what George was doing through a monitor. Actually I couldn’t really tell what was going on. I looked pretty much like watching a show on National Geographic. Anyway, George was done in 30 minutes plus another 20 minutes to sew me up. I was brought to the recovery room for what possibly was the most boring 3 hours of my life. Luckily, they allowed me to have my cellphone so I had some for of entertainment, a distraction of sorts. It didn’t distract me though from the pain I was experiencing. It felt like someone was twisting my leg, trying to break it again. And to add to that, it also felt like I had a heavy cabinet on top of my leg.

At around lunchtime, they wheeled me in a room where Mayi met me with my Burger King lunch! Yahoo! I was so hungry. It was perfect, Mayi was beside me plus a TV to entertain me. I begged the nurse not to bring me back to the recovery room. Fortunately, she agreed and I stayed there until I was given the GO signal to go home.

Before going, George gave me final instructions, most painful of which was NO ALCOHOL for the next two months. I thought at first that he was joking. But after asking several times if he was serious, it figured he was. Oh well, I can live with it. I thought all I have to put in my head is that, if I don’t follow his instructions, it will delay my recovery. And I didn’t want that. Besides, it’s just another milestone to aim for and I will be able to drink in time for Christmas and New Year!

The next 24 hours were not any less painful. The feeling I described earlier was consistent and sustained. Ice offered some sort of relief. And thank GOD for pain killers.

My family would call and text me. Telling them how painful it was offered some sort of outlet for me. GOD bless all of them for their support especially Marianna, my niece, who acted as my support group. She also just tore her ACL and is on the road to recovery. I must say though that I could not have done it without Mayi. She was my nurse, my secretary, and the constant ear for all my complaints. Thank you so much Mom.

Oh well. First step is done. However painful, I happy I’m on my way! Now, on to therapy!

No comments: